Thursday, February 15, 2007

Book Review

Earlier this week I submitted my book review to Steve Bennett at the San Antonio Express-News on Daniel Alarcon's "Lost City Radio." The book tells a haunting tale of war in an unnamed South American country, in villages and towns that are no longer called by their given names and are instead referred to by numbers which are issued based on a variety of factors.

As you will see in my review (if it isn't edited out!), the book hit home with me when it described the radio broadcast of names of people who went (or were forced to go) to war and have subsequently ended up missing. People yearning for their missing loved ones turn to a radio program, Lost City Radio, where they send in names of the missing which are then read over the air in the hopes that someone has information on their location or status, or at least to let them know they are missed and loved.

The next book Steve would like me to review is Michele Martinez upcoming third novel "Cover-Up." I have heard wonderful things about Michele's writing, and I'm looking forward to reading her latest work.

One of the best things about doing book reviews is getting an opportunity to read a book that isn't on sale yet in the book stores. It's like a little secret between you and the author!