Thursday, August 09, 2007

Julia Alvarez Presentation



Last night was definitely a highlight in my literary life as I was able to meet and speak for a few moments with Julia Alvarez, author of personal favorites "How the Garcia Girls Lost their Accents," and "How Tia Lola Came to (Visit) Stay," during promotion of her recently published book "Once Upon a Quinceanera" at the Central Library.

Julia gave a wonderful slide show presentation on some of the research she conducted for her latest book, which drew admiration, laughter and a couple of tears (okay, those were mine as I imagined my 5-year-old daughter having her quinceanera 9 years from now!) from the approximately 80 people who attended the free presentation. She also gave us insight into a program by the Hispanic Cultural Center of Idaho created in 1998. The "Stay in School Quinceanera Program," addresses teen pregnancy, self-esteem issues and the importance of getting a diploma. With sessions that last for months, the program also teaches participating Latinas how to waltz and make crowns out of wax flowers. Of course, the shock factor is that this a program in Idaho!

Some friends I saw at the presentation were award-winning author Diane Gonzales Bertrand, whose book "Sweet Fifteen" reports the Express-News was one of many Julia used for her research; and Belza Ramos from the Mujeres writer’s group from the OLLU Center for Women in Church and Society.

I am especially pleased that she signed for me the first paperback edition of "How the Garcia Girls Lost their Accents" that I took to the presentation.