Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Mission: Black List #1

Thank you for kinds words regarding my review of "Mission: Black List #1."

Here are a couple of more Q&As with Eric Maddox that I omitted from the review due to length:

Q. What are your thoughts on the "enhance interrogation" methods that have garnered a lot of negative attention?

A. When it came to interrogation techniques, I really didn't follow the manual because the manual was more about how to do an interrogation of a soldier from a foreign military unit, like a German or Vietnamese soldier who was holding a smoking gun. I realized quickly that the techniques in the book would not work. So for me, the method was to look at the insurgents who were civilians, who live at home and don't have weapons or bombs in their house. So I had to deal with them like they do with the mafia--it was about building trust...(and) to build trust you couldn't torture them. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't nice to them--you just can't built trust by torturing them.

Q. A lot of people were under the impression that once we captured Saddam, the war would be over. Five years after the capture, the war is still going on. What happened?

A. It's extremely difficult to fight a war and try to re-build a country at the same time. Most families there are large, extended families. This leads to families that have some members who are decent people who want to help run a government; then you have other family members who are part of the insurgency--so we end up fighting the same family we're helping.
I believe we should have finished the war because we were close...we were so close. But we didn't and now we're re-building a country and we're not sure who our friends are because they're almost all related.