Saturday, April 14, 2007

Mallin Alegria to visit Palo Alto College

Everyone is cordially invited to attend “Estrella’s Quinceanera” in the Palo Alto College Performing Arts Center , room 100B, on Wednesday, April 25 at 11 a.m. Refreshments will be served after the presentation.

According to the Simon and Schuster website, Malín Alegría is the author of Estrella's Quinceañera. She is an accomplished educator, dancer, and actress who has co-written and performed in several stage plays. Ms. Alegría lives in San Francisco . Estrella’s Quinceanera was published in hardback last year by Simon and Schuster. Due to its popularity, it’s being released in paperback in May 2007. Ms. Alegria has a new book “Sofi Mendoza’s Guide to Getting Lost in Mexico ” also set for release in May 2007 by Simon and Schuster, a rare feat for a new author!

A synopsis from Ms. Alegria’s website on “Estrella’s Quinceanera”:

“Estrella Alvarez is turning fifteen, and she’s not happy about it. For as long as she can remember, her mother has been planning an elaborate quinceañera, complete with a mariachi band, cheesy decorations, and a hideous dress. Estrella is so over it. She’d much rather have an understated party at a posh restaurant downtown--that way, she can invite her two best friends from private school, who have no idea Estrella lives in the barrio. Even though Estrella tries to keep her home life a secret from her school friends, things get even more complicated when she falls for Speedy, a cholo whom her friends--and her parents--would definitely disapprove of. Caught between her family’s wishes and the allure of her sophisticated friends, Estrella is forced to make tough choices. This funny touching book follows one girl’s struggle to figure out who she really wants to be.”

An excerpt from Ms. Alegria’s website on “Sofi Mendoza’s Guide to Getting Lost in Mexico ”:

“You’ll never believe what’s happened to me. It feels like I’ve woken up in a total nightmare. I’m living in the country with pigs, horses, roosters and even a goat. I swear to God, no joke. I hate it here! It’s hell. There are these creepy crawlers in the bed called chinches that bite me every night and the frigid’ rooster cries in the middle of the night. There’s no hot water and the lights go out all the time!! There’s no cable, no internet and no phone!!! Can you believe it? And I have a horrible aunt who bosses me around like I’m her slave. I hate it all. I don’t know how long I’ll be here. My parents say that I’ll be home soon. The sooner the better! I’ll write more later. Love you. Miss you all. Tell everyone I’m all right. Make up something cool.
Later,
Sof”

Ms. Alegria will read an excerpt from “Estrella’s Quinceanera” and speak about being a young Hispanic female author. There will be time for questions and answers, and Ms. Alegria will happily autograph “Estrella’s Quinceanera” which will soon be on sale in the PAC book store, and in the Performing Arts Center on the day of the presentation. Refreshments after the presentation will be catered by Las Cazuelas Restaurant.

This event is part of the President’s Lecture Series. It is free and open to the public.