Monday, November 23, 2009

Pecan Grove Press Update

From Pecan Grove Press:

Subject: Pushcart Prize Nominees from Pecan Grove Press

Dear friends of Pecan Grove Press,

I usually do not submit poems for the Pushcart Prize because most of the poems published in our books have been previously published in literary magazines. For the same reason, I don't like seeing "selected poems by...." winning Pulitzer, National Book Awards, and other prizes. But many of the poems published in our books have not appeared in literary reviews; so, this year, I have decided to submit some of those stunningly good poems.

This was an incredibly difficult selection chore (because I would not have published any book without poems that I cared for deeply). And to winnow from all the pages of the many collections of poems we publish each year means that I have undoubtedly made a mistake somewhere! At any rate, I have just mailed off my nominations for poems/poets for the Pushcart Prize for 2009. Each poet nominated had a new book or chapbook from Pecan Grove Press during 2009.

I set one rule for myself: if a poem had been previously published in a literary review that submitted Pushcart nominees, I would not select that poem. So, all the poems nominated are original to the Pecan Grove Press book in which they appeared. I could quite easily have made a mistake or the poem may have been published after I received the acknowledgments page.

The Pecan Grove Press nominees (not in rank order):
“The Color of the Flowers, the Color of the Sky” by Helen Frost
[from as if a dry wind]

“Premature Migration” by Phoebe Reeves
[from The Lobes and Petals of the Inanimate]

The Bridge Above the Clouds”by Nick Carbo
[from Chinese, Japanese, What Are These?]

“When Marcy Told Me” by Francine Witte
[from First Rain (winner of the National Chapbook Competition)]

“By the Time the Sun Had Shrunk” by Marian Haddad
[from POEtry and PrOsE (a celebration of EA Poe's 200th birthday)]

“Newsbrat Hookey” by Robin Kemp
[from This Pagan Heaven]

My thanks again to all of you for your support of Pecan Grove Press,
H. Palmer Hall,
editor and publisher