Tuesday, September 21, 2010

New Event at Barnes and Noble, La Cantera

From Josie Mixon:

Dear Fellow Poets and Supporters,

I am not quite sure how I should promote this event without tooting my own horn so here goes:

As some of you may have heard we (Voices de La Luna Magazine) are starting a new venue at Barnes & Noble @ La Cantera beginning on Wednesday, September 22nd which will be the 4th Wednesday of the month.

I have the honor of being the first featured poet and will be presenting. It is perfect timing since October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month and many of you recognize my passion for promoting awareness for all victims and survivors of abuse.

I will read from my latest book "Off the Beaten Path" and my previous books as well. I have other collections which most people are not familiar with one which has been accepted for publication by Pecan Grove Press (2012) called Vigorous Calm which is a collection of poetry of place. I have other collections as well as so many of us poets do but one that I intend to read from which is still unpublished and has never been submitted called "Between Borders" which is a collection of poetry about my hometown and its unique and sometimes special traditions, myths and stories. Some of which is unexpectedly funny due to how serious it is. ok, I know that doesn't make sense so I will explain it, briefly. I was born in Mission, Texas on June 8, 1963. Mission is 13 miles, mas o menos from the Mexican border. My mother was born in the house I grew up in and her mother (Comanche) was born in Mexico. Her dad (Apache) was also born in Mexico. On my dad's side we are decendents from the first settlers from the Canary Islands. So this should explain alot of things about me (hopefully). My passion begins with my children who are my life followed by my brothers and sisters (victims & survivors) of abuse. The rest you already know as I currently run open mic at Barnes & Noble at Ingram Festival. Just

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Josie Mixon
http://www.voicesdelaluna.com/